Guiding Principles

A little learning is a dangerous thing

A collection of rules/principles/guidelines that have had a large impact on my life.

80/20 Rule (Pareto principle)

80% of results come from 20% of the work. The last 20% comes from the other 80% of the work. It’s rare that you need 100%. Figure out what will get the job done and move forward. Perfection is the enemy of completion.

Life is Full of Shortcuts, Knowing When To Use Them is the Key

There are times to take shortcuts, there are times when you shouldn’t. Don’t forget to take them when applicable (it’s most of the time).

People Are Human

They make mistakes. They have wants, desires, and flaws. Just like you.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity (Hanlon’s Razor)

Humaity is always ready to jump on the conspiracy therory or evil intent. In reality, people are stupid and that’s far more common the motivation.

Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected (Occam’s Razor)

Simple is easy to test. Simple is easy to execute. Don’t complecate for the sake of complecation.

Adjust Your Belief For New Evidence (Bayesian Inference)

Some things are black and white, lots aren’t. Adjust your probablities.

Most Knowledge Requries Faith

Most of the things we “know”, we “know” because someone (or something) told us. Be skeptical.

Human’s Suck at Statistics

Be wary of numbers being thrown at you.


A lot.